Thursday, August 27, 2026

White Ledge Loop (White Mountain National Forest)

White Ledge Loop (White Mountain National Forest)

Hike Type: Lollipop Loop
Distance: 4.30 miles
Elevation: 1,440 feet
My Time: 1 hour, 51 minutes
Book Time: 2 hours, 52 minutes
Parking: Parking for only 4 non-camper cars at White Ledge Campground.
Hiking Challenges: N/A


The Hike 
Hike #2! I finished my second Dunkin breakfast sandwich at a picnic table near Christien's car and then I started my trek up and over White Ledge. 

[1:34pm - Start of Hike]
From the car, I turned right to hike further into the White Ledge Campground, following the road and staying right at the fork. At Campsite 6-7, I saw the actual trailhead sign for the White Ledge Trail.

[1:36pm - White Ledge Trail]
I hiked into the woods under spooky skies (my weather app still said I was fine). The only thing propelling me forward was knowing that people had already been on this trail today, meaning I would not have to deal with the same caliber of spider webs that I just dealt with on the Middle Sister Trail. There was running water on the righthand side of the trail with many, many mushrooms, and I did find a joy seeing stream with water actually in them (versus the many dry streambeds of the Carter Ledge/Middle Sister trails).

[1:41pm - White Ledge Loop Trail (CCW)]
After a few minutes, the White Ledge Trail split, starting the White Ledge Loop Trail. I turned right first per the AllTrails suggestion (plus I typically like a longer approach and being closer to the trailhead after the top). I crossed a stream, turned a corner, and began to climb moderately. It looked like this trail used to be blazed in orange before it was blazed in the typical yellow?

The White Ledge Loop Trail flattened and turned to cross a stone wall and I was blown away by all of the mushrooms in the area! I was displeased with how much I was sweating again, and I was also displeased by the new episode of farts I was dealing with, but overall, it was a good time!

I eventually turned again to join an old woods road that rose straight and easy before crossing yet another stone wall and bisecting another old woods road - it was clear which one was mine.

I paralleled another stone wall for a minute or so before crossing the corner into yet another stone wall with some spectacular shelf fungi to welcome me in. The trail then swung left and began to steepen. I could hear a breeze overhead but it was not hitting me, which felt cruel. The steep push was a butt kicker and led to a momentary height-of-land that featured the breeze - thank god.

The woods up here were absolutely beautiful but the flies were absolutely annoying. I began to descend after the height-of-land, which felt good on the legs, especially paired with the breeze. That was, until, I kept descending - no thank you! The trail eventaully began to flatten out and swing left through a young birch forest. The sun came out as I passed many piles of rocks - I'm guessing from when they built this old road.

This flat stretch led to another left turn at a property boundary and then my final climb began! The grade was moderate with decent footing and occasional loose rocks. It got a little car-wash-like at time, but overall it was fine, especially because there were no spider webs! I hit the first slabs when my watch was at 2.22 miles, and my calves felt like they were about to rupture!

After hitting the slabs, the trail narrowed and got a bit scratchy, and navigation was a little tricky. Generally, there was always a cairn or blaze to help, but you sometimes had to really look for it. The skies were definitely looking spooky!

I started to catch some obstructed views from the ledges - first, I could make out South Moat and Kearsarge behind me. I poked around a bit and could see North Moat and Cranmore. Later, there was a neat obstructed tree view to a ledgy landmass. I used PeakFinder here to identify left to right: Bear Mountain, Mt. Nancy, Mt. Bemis, Mt. Field behind, and Table Mountain. To the left of Bear Mountain was Tremond, which was dwarfed by Carrigain behind of it. This was a neat view!

Just after there was another view to the Conway area and then the hiking became easier, alternating between nice mossy woods and easy slabs. 

[2:51pm - White Ledge Summit]
The summit area is the most open slab with no clear high point, aside from the high point clearly beind off-trail. There were little views around the summit, but it was mostly grown in. I did my best to boop the high point, and then I continued on!

From the top, I began my blast off back down and to the car. The viewless slabs continued at first, which made for some pretty hiking. I caught a spooky view to Chocorua before the trail began to descend more moderately along the slabs - thankfully they had good grip. 

The trail descended into the woods, where it would alternate moderate/steep descending with occasional walking breaks as rewards, with some spots of slippery, loose scree. The occasional moments of flat dirt felt amazing! My legs were feeling absolutely cooked, to the point where a muddy section felt wonderful. 

The muddy stretch led to another descent, but I could now hear the stream and NH-16. Eventually, I crossed the stream again on slippery rocks and followed it downstream to the end of the loop!

[3:18pm - End of Loop]
I did notice some purple flagging tape near the end of the loop - I wonder what's up with that? I hit the junction right around 4.0 miles and I felt like I was cruising! My feet were aching from the rocks and roots and the sky was DARK from the clouds!

[3:23pm - End of Trail]
[3:24pm - End of Hike]
I felt a rain drop the second my foot hit the pavement, and the second I changed and got in the car it began to rain! Talk about wonderful timing! I was sad (and stressed) that I didn't have my car, but I was very grateful for Christien to loan me his for the day. Now for a long drive back to his place!

Step-by-Step
- From hiker parking, turn right.
- At split, stay right.
- At trailhead, continue into woods onto White Ledge Trail.
- At split, turn right onto White Ledge Loop Trail.
- At the close of the loop, retrace steps back to car.

Photo Album

No comments:

Post a Comment