Sunday, June 28, 2026

The Bigelows & The Horns via Fire Warden’s & Appalachian Trails (Bigelow Preserve)

The Bigelows & The Horns via Fire Warden’s & Appalachian Trails (Bigelow Preserve)

Hike Type: Lollipop Loop
Distance: 15.30 miles
Elevation: 4,409 feet
My Time: 8 hours, 36 minutes (7 hours, 43 minutes moving)
Book Time: 9 hours, 51 minutes
Parking: Plenty of parking off of ME-16/27 at the AT crossing.
Hiking Challenges: Maine 4,000 Footers, New England 67, Operation Alaska Benchmark Challenge


The Hike 
Time for my third big hike of vacation! My alarm went off at 5:15am and I said goodbye to Sarah (who was going to drive back to Waltham later that morning) before driving the GRUELING seven minutes to my trailhead for the day! My body was definitely starting to feel tired and the back of my neck got ROASTED on Saddleback and The Horn yesterday. On the plus side, I used my brain and packed my boot dryer for this trip so I had dry shoes! I made it to the trailhead just before 6:00am and there were just four other cars, and it seemed like most of them were in the middle of a backpacking trip.

[6:16am - Start of Hike]
I was looking forward to this adventure! It was a chilly 50 degree morning with blue skies. The trailhead had a sign for the Kennebec River Ferry and few informational kiosks that read:
“THE BIGELOW RANGE
The Bigelow. Range, also known as Bigelow Mountain, consists of a several of Maine’s most rugged inter-connected peaks. The mountain is named for Colonel Timothy Bigelow, who rose to prominence as one of the four division commanders in the Continental Army detachment under Benedict Arnold. In October r1775, en route to the failed invasion of Canada, Colonel Bigelow summited the mountain with a small expedition for the purpose of “military observation.”
The entire range resides within the protective boundary of the Bigelow Preserve - over 36,000 acres State of Maine owned land that is open year-round for public recreation and enjoyment. To learn how to access the preserve other than by the Appalachian Trail from this location, contact the Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands at (207) 778-8231.
Fact: The Bigelow Range is recognized as an extensive and varied alpine zone with a significant number of rare animals and plants that call it home, including: Bal dealers, rock voles, Bigelow’s sedge and alpine blueberry, Bicknell’s thrush (above right) and fragrant wood fern (above left).
Bigelow Mountain’s two highest peaks, West Peak and Avery Peak are among Maine’s fourteen “4,000-Footers”. Avery Peak, is named for Myron H. Avery, Maine’s most notable driver behind the construction of the Appalachian Trail and the first to fully walk the trail.
Myron Avery’s words regarding the Appalachian Trail: “…it beckons not merely north and south but upward to the body, mind and soul of man.”
 
“WELCOME TO MOOSE COUNTRY
A large number of moose live happily in the high wooded terrain found across the Maine High Peaks Region. These beautiful and shy animals can be spotted along the scenic byway, down old logging roads and on hiking trails. Moose live on a diet of woody plant leaves and twigs, but also seek out salt rich aquatic plants. Visitors can arrange moose safari trips through local guides. 
Fact: There were fewer than 2,000 Maine moose left in the early 1900s; but with strict protections, including a 54 year hunting band, there are not 60,000-70,000 moose in Maine!
Watch out. While typically a docile animal, an adult moose will weigh up to 1,500 lbs with a charging speed of up to 35 mph. Cautiously observe them from a distance and avoid any kind of provocation.
Photograph a Moose. Improve your chances getting a memorable image by being on the lookout near wet boggy places during twilight feeding times from May to July and during the autumn.
Big Antlers:  From April through late summer, Bull moose (males) grow antlers up to 5 ft. and then shed them during the winter."

I immediately got bitten by a bug, so the spray went on no more than five feet from the car. I walked through the parking area to where the Appalachian Trail crosses ME 16/27.

[6:18am - Appalachian Trail & ME-16/27 Crossing]
The crossing was pretty easy this early in the morning, but I can imagine it would be more difficult during a higher-trafficked time of day. I entered the shady woods on the other side of the road and passed a sign indicating the beginning of MAINE SECTION 7 of the Appalachian Trail (19.5 miles) and some signs indicating a "MANAGEMENT SENSITIVE AREA." 

The woods were lovely and naturally full of spider webs. My socks kept falling down into my shoe which was slightly infuriating, but the morning sun and singing birds kept my spirits high! The trail rambled up and down before starting a longer descent - I was not looking forward to doing this at the end of my hike!

I crossed a cute brook around 0.44 miles and then a series of bog bridges before hiking up and over a hump. I crossed another stream on an unsettingly bouncy bridge, meandered through the woods just a little bit more, and then I came to Stratton Brook Pond Road!

[6:40am - Stratton Brook Pond Road]
This was the official start of my loop's lollipop! It was nice to be on a wide dirt road that was free of spider webs for a bit. I passed a logging road that had a small peek-a-view up to the Bigelow Horns, which looked comically far away. There were plenty of daisies lining the road, and I couldn't help but notice that the bugs were liking me a whole lot more without Sarah next to me!

[6:52am - Gravel Road Ends & Esker Trail(?)]
Stratton Brook Pond Road ended at a parking area, Stratton Brook trail kiosk with information about the Bigelow Preserve and the Appalachian Trail, and there was a "ROAD CLOSED" sign in front of a log, marking the discontinuation of the road. There was a piece of plywood over the log, presumably for mountain bikes. There were about five cars at this trailhead. 

Here, I turned left to follow a different woods road, signed on AllTrails as "Esker Trail," but official maps make it a bit more confusing. Either way, it was a lovely, flat, dirt road! I crossed paths with a biker and realized my camera was starting to get low on battery, and I tragically left my camera charger at home (after this trip I put my spare charger in my hiking tote bag that I always have in my car to prevent such a situation in the future), so I would have to start pretending to be conservative with my picture taking. 

The woods road rose to a little spine with a marsh and pond down low on the right and very obstructed tree views up to the Bigelows on the left (which looked ridiculously far away...). The road ended at a slightly more open spot with a blue blaze, and then led on a footpath to Stratton Brook Pond!

[7:02 am - Stratton Brook Pond]
The pond was beautiful! There were crickers chiping in abundance and there was a clear view to Sugarloaf. The air was calm, turning the pond into a mirror while a loon was swimming around. The blue-blazed trail crossed a bridge over the pond's outflow, which was just beautiful.

[7:03am - Campsite]
The trail passed a campsite with a privy and picnic table just after the bridge, and then the trail narrowed to a sidewalk-width. I paralleled the pond for a while, enjoying the sounds of morning bullfrogs, and found myself thanking whatever mountain biker got ahead of me and knocked off the morning spiderwebs.

[7:09am - Campsite]
On the other side of the pond was a near identical campsite with the same amenities - they live luxuriously in these Maine woods!

[7:10am - Fire Warden’s Trail]
Just after the second campsite, the trail split. To the right, the Esker Trail continued (or started?) and was marked by a clear blue sign. To the left was the unsigned beginning of the Firewarden's Trail, marked by traditional blue blazes and a "no bicycles on hiking trails" sign.

I turned away from the streams and pond and started my journey a bit deeper into the woods, passing some wetlands with ducks and more bullfrogs, and then coming to the formal trailhead of the Firewarden's Trail just a few minutes later.

[7:14am - Fire Warden’s Trail Sign & Reigster]
I signed the reigster, which was unique to Maine. In New York and Vermont (and New Hampshire, but i see registers significantly less frequently in NH), the registers are usually a log book, spiral notebook, or simply a binder with loose leaf paper that you sign, but the Maine register was a stack of index cards that one is supposed to fill out and put into a box. Maybe it was just for the Appalachian Trail and adjacent lands since it seems sponsored by the MATC?

The Firewarden's Trail (unclear if there is formally a space or not, as no maps or guides seem to agree) began as a gentle meander through the woods, then it began to easily gain elevation, then it began to moderately gain elevation, and then it became visibly more wild, narrow, and much steeper! The air felt nice and cooler after that first push before the trailbed became slabby and crossed an enormous blowdown.

The climb after the first steep push became more reasoable in a hardwood forest before reaching a height-of-land, which was flat and muddy and featured some bog bridges and a slight descend. There were occasional tree views to the Bigelow's ridge, which was STILL looking ridiculously far away! I apssed a meadow on the left at a low point with even more croaking bullfrogs, I almost stepped on a squirrel, and I almost slipped on numerous boards that ranged from wet to rotted, but then after surviving all of the turmoils, I came to the junction with the Horns Pond Trail!

[7:45am - Fire Warden’s Trail/Horns Pond Trail]
I stopped for a short break to have a snack, have a sip, and take a wee. The color of my wee indicated I needed to up my water intake! The trail sign indicated I had about a mile to the next landmark: Moose Falls Campsite. The word "falls" made me excited! At the junction, there was a Carry In/Carry Out sign and a busted "WELCOME TO THE BIGELOW PRESERVE" notice with trail information that was 35% unreadable.

[7:52am - Fire Warden’s Trail]
Back to hiking, I couldn't help but notice the trail did NOT have an abundance of spider webs, which implied there was somebody ahead of me, which was wonderful! I easily crossed a stream, then another one, and then an old logging road. All the hiking was pretty easy since the junction, which was nice in the moment but I knew would soon become a bummer. I crossed paths with a hiker ahead of me, who I dubbed "Spider Man." 

The trail moderated and my legs were already feeling tired! I climbed mindlessly for a bit, eventually crossing another stream and noticing a couple of trees that had wire embedded in them - I'm guessing it's old telephone wire for the old fire warden's cabin that I'm sure exited at the top of the Firewarden's Trail? It was cool, nonetheless! I said hello to a toad, smashed my knee into a rock, and then had a steep wiggle up some rocks and landed at Moose Falls Campsite!

[8:27am - Fire Warden’s Trail/Moose Falls Campsite]
The campsite was in a really beautiful area. The tent sites and privy were on the left and the spur to the water (and falls?) was on the right. The whole vibe of the forest shifted here in a beautiful, calm way! The walls were more of just a cascade - maybe the water was on the low side? A little underwhelming, bu tnic enonetheless! I checked out the privy, which was LOUDLY buzzing with flies - no thank you! There was a tent at the tent site proper so I did not investigate further.

[8:33am - Fire Warden’s Trail]
Back on the Fire Warden's Trail, I climbed a little and crossed the same brook then went over the falls. The trail began to climb steeper, so I intentionally tried to slow down to prevent certain cardiac arrest. I was cooking! It was super humid out, so my sweat was profilic. I hiked through a very wet stretch followed by a sunny stretch that ALMOST provided tree views. This was turning out to be quite the climb.

To my dismay, the trail steepened again and more and more stairs began to appear (the Strava segment for this was titled something like "dem stairs tho," for reference). I was tired, I was sweat, but I wrote I did "not need a defribulator yet." 

The steepness continued until I could make out baby views to Sugarloaf and Abraham and there was one stretch of terrifyingly loud flies I basically ran up through. I wrote "oh my god that was awful like 15 feet of hundreds of buzzing flies I sprinted up and now might die." Afterwards, I wrote "hell continues."

I sloshed through a wetter stretch that had views behind to the Crockers. I could hear voices, but couldn't tell if there were above or below, which was surprising considering how steep this trail was! It turned out they were above me and coming down from an overnight stay. They complimented my camera! This climb was by far the hardest I had done on my trip so far (and spoiler alert: it was far harder than anything I would hike in the next two days). My next note said "I maintain that I'll take quad steep over calf steep, but this is a stairmaster from hell."

The trail eventually turned a corner and continued between two wet rocks - I could start to see the sky! I began to round the shoulder, the temperature slightly dropped, and I felt a sense of hope fill my body! There were tree views on the right to Avery Peak, which looked cool as hell. I soon passed an unmarked spur on the right to a tent site and privy, there was what looked like an abandoned blue blazed trail on the left, and soon entered Avery Col, which was a beautiful area with tons of sunlight. I think I teared up a bit when I saw the Appalachian Trail!... or maybe it was just sweat?

[9:20am - Appalachian Trail]
There was a group of 7ish backpackers getting ready to hike near the camp site and one of the women said there was a group a slow-moving youths ahead and to feel free to pass them, which gave me a laugh. The Appalachian Trail was flat in the col, which was absolutely delightful on the feet, and the walk was accompanied (finally) by a life-altering breeze. I also noticed a sign for the Kennebec River Ferry again, but this time it was for 2020.

I soon caught up to the group of 8-9 kids and they were well-versed in hiker etiquette. They let me pass, helped their friends get over, and ALL said good morning, which was suprising, but wonderful! The climb was pretty scrambly and views behind to West Peak were already beginning to show.

In my blast off, I crossed paths with another duo and got back to "near cardiac arrest," so I pumped the breaks after passing them. Views back to Flagstaff Lake began to appear next just before breaking through treeline at a "please help us preserve the fragile alpine plants" sign - WOW. 

The views were nothing short of incredible from a false summit. I passed another backpacking duo and gawked at the view in all directions now. I could soon see the summit sign on Avery Peak ahead after one more climb, where I truly felt on top of the world!

[9:33am - Avery Peak]
I didn't have the peak to myself, but it was also not overcrowded. The whole summit area was just incredible. Looking ahead on the Appalchian Trail north I could see old tower remains. Working around clockwise, I could see straight down to the Airport I parked at for the Poplar Stream hike, I could see the Abraham-Spaulding-Sugarloaf range with the crockers further to the right. Maybe Redinton too? Maybe not, though. Continuing clockwise, West Peak was next with Flagstaff Lake after, which was almost loking like an inland sea!

I found FOUR summit discs up here, one gold summit, one browner summit (both summit discs were within the tower foundations), and two arrows. There were some bees around the tower so I kept it moving. Just after the tower there was a plaque dedicated to Myron Avery. This is where I took my big sit!

“MYRON H. AVERY PEAK
OF MT. BIGELOW
NAMED IN HONOR OF
MYRON HALIBURTON AVERY
1899-1952
WHOSE FORESIGHT LEADERSHIP AND DILIGENCE
MADE POSSIBLE
THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL
THIS 2,000 MILE FOOTPATH
FROM MAINE TO GEORGIA”

I dried off for a minute and then put on some sunscreen and CHUGGED some water. It was hazy out, but the views were just spectacular. The group of young youths arrived about 10 minutes after I did and the adults soon after that. Everyone at the summit was so nice and friendly and happy to be out and about - it was an absolute delight!

[9:56am - Appalachian Trail]
After eating my food and enjoying the sights, I decided to continue on my journey. I packed up, said a light goodbye to everyone that I passed, and started the trip down back to the col. I took at least 1,000 more photos on the trip down, and I really enjoyed being able to see the summit sign on West Peak from Avery Peak. I ended up wearing my visor like a 90s rapper for maximum sun protection on my burn from Saddleback yesterday. Aside from the humidity during the climb, the weather was unbelievably wonderful, especially up on the ridge!

[10:08am - Appalachian Trail/Firewarden’s Trail]

Back in the col, I hiked past some wild-looking ferns and abundant trout lilies (EDIT: I have since learned that most of these trout lilies I have seen recently are actually bluebead lilies, and the best way to tell the difference is the leaf pattern - the trout lilies are splotched while the bluebead lilies are a solid green). I explored the camp a little bit, read another plaque at a signed reforestation area, and then began my climb up to West Peak.

The trail got right to climbing, soon climbing through a fir wave with tree views back to Avery Peak's craggy ridge. I continued deeper into the woods for some more typical steep climbing, followed by another blowdown patch view and then some more steep climbing. 

[10:20am - West Peak]
All that was followed by a more moderate push and then a steep cramble up the summit cone, bringing me back into the Alpine Zone, full of cotton grass and wonderful views. While this peak is higher than Avery Peak, the grandeur felt a bit dwarfed in comparison. To be abundantly clear, it was STUNNING. I loved seeing back to Avery Peak, which looked like a dorsal fin. I could now see ahead to the Horns in addition to the many distant peaks in the area. I rushed through some flies again, drank some more water, and then started my longer trip over to the Horns.

After a short ridge walk I began to descend on a rocky trail with insane views, a wonderful breeze, and peaceful butterflies. I had to burst through another round of fly hell to get into the scrub, but I was rewarded with another open view up towards the Horns!

The trail descended steeply, and then it began to truly plummet down (I crossed paths with two backpackers that were having a TIME getting up the mountain). The Appalachian Trail flattened for moment in a beautiful mossy forest before starting a brief rollercoaster stretch. Thankfully it was one of those children's carnival roller coasters that never goes too steep in either direction! There was a grown in view toward the Airport from one hump, and there was a nice peek-a-view towards the Horns before the next STEEP descent.

This next steep stretch involved a sit-and-scootch scramble, which eventually led to an easy final descent into the cool, where I caught another nice breeze and saw my first pile of moose poop of the day! Just kidding - not the col, the trail continued to descend! Then it descended moderately... and THEN made it into the col!

I met a ridge runner in the col, which was a first for me! He was super nice and we only briefly chatted. Now, it was time to climb again! Thankfully the climb wasn't too rough. The woods were stunning and mossy and led to an area that was more open and just full of moose poop, but still no moose!

After a delightfully easy climb, I did eventually hit a steeper part, but when I checked my map I realized I was almost there! I caught a few tree views over to Sugarloaf after the first push, which concluded with a lovely walking break before another steeper push. I crossed paths with a lady and soon caught a truly wonderful view back to West Peak, which was incredibly pyramidal. 

[11:31am - South Horn]
Per tradition at this point, the view from South Horn was just spectacular. Looking along the AT North, I could see West Peak and the humps I hiked over, to the right was Sugarloaf and surrounding peaks, and straight ahead were some rough looking masses of land with a glance down to Horns Pond a few feet further on the trail. 

I didn't stay for longer than a couple of photos, and I had another round of fly hell to power my way through to get back into teh trees. I wasn't sure if I wanted to hike to North Horn, but when I saw a peek-a-view of an open summit and summit sign, I felt like I had to! Naturally, it was steep coming off of South Horn, and the spur to North Horn was soon after the top.

[11:35am - North Horn Spur]
The North Horn Spur, a blue-blazed trail, started off with a hardly-noticeable descent before starting to climb. I hiked past a dark-eyed junco before starting the more moderate push of this 0.2-mile spur path. I rambled up a few slabs and was soon at North Horn, which was marked with a no camping and no fires sign.

[11:41am - North Horn]
Once again, the views were just excellent. I decided I would stick to my main plan and NOT go to Cranberry Peak as extra credit because I was officially on my final liter of water and I was FAR from the car! I was loving the views over to West Peak, SOuth Horn, and Horns Pond from here. I sat for a little break, but the flies began to like me so I soon was up and pacing around the summit while I ate. My pee was YELLOW, so it was definitely time to start the return trip. It was definitely warmer out now, but the breeze still felt wonderful. I also found an illegal campsite just past the summit.

[11:58am - North Horn Spur]
[12:02pm - Appalachian Trail]
I had a delightful trip back to the Appalachian Trail and then continued the classic steep descent of the Bigelow Range. I, again, used the word "plummet" in my notes for this stretch, but thankfully the plummet was brown up by a 30ft stretch of flatness, past a spring box, before plummeting again. My feet were hurting by this point in the hike (and week!), and thankfully I hit another flat stretch with some wonderful flat dirt.

I had one more area of descent before slipping gracefully on a wet rock, and soon after I came to a sign that read: "PLEASE HELP PRESERVE THE GROUND COVER SURROUNDING HORNS POND DO NOT CAMP IN THE AREA BETWEEN THIS TRAIL AND THE POND USE ONLY THE PARKED TRAILS TO THE POND THANK YOU M.A.T.C" - I was almost there!

[12:16pm - Pond Loop]
To my delight, or absolute dismay, There was a sign for "Pond Loop" - I had no idea what that meant, but unfortunately I felt like I had to take it! The trail started by paralleling the pond, passing a couple of viewpoints on soft ground. The Pond Loop crossed the outflow of the pond on some loose boards and then a loop began. The pathway narrowed and had PLENTY of webs, but it was blazed! I turned right.

The trail really just meanders narrowly through the forest. I kept hearing some frog or fish splashing about, especially when I got near to the pond towards the end of the loop. It was definitely a fish! I think trout are jumping out of the water trying to eat bugs?? How cool!

I stopped again on the way out to watch some more jumping fish, and I actually caught one (barely) on camera! I enjoyed this little loop much more than I thought I would!

[12:33pm - Appalachian Trail]
[12:35pm - Appalachian Trail/Horns Pond/Horns Pond Lean-To]
[12:39pm - Appalachian Trail/Horns Pond Trail]
I hiked back to the Appalachian Trail and passed another sign for the Kennebec River Ferry, for 2023 this time, and soon was at the Horns Pond Lean-To, which was FULL of backpackers. There was a spur for "water," which was just the pond, and the privy was off in the woods. I enjoyed a few last peeks to the pond and then continued my hike - I had just a bit more elevation to conquer before I was firmly on the descent!

I hated hiking past the group that was in the lean-to, but that was fully a me-problem. The trail followed the pond, soon traveling away. An AT sign pointed out that I was still 5.1 miles from my car... bummer! A few minutes later was the junction with the Horns Pond Trail. The Appalachian Trail began to gain elevation again, soon steeply climbing up rock stairs pass some neat moss-covered boulders. I was taking the ups slowly at this point to preserve what life I had left in me. 

[12:46pm - Appalachian Trail/View Spur]
There was a slightly tricky Mahoosuc-esc scramble, I was grumpy, and then I came to view spur that made me angrily happy! It showcased an absolutely wonderful view of Horns Pond and The Horn. It looked like I was on top of one of the craggy knobs that I could see from the pond. SO PRETTY!

[12:59pm - Appalachian Trail/View Spur]
I got back on the AT and hiked along some more flat, pretty ground, continuing to climb. I was grateful the trail was so pretty becuase I was NOT thrilled to be climbing still! I rambled, I descended, and like clockwork, began to climb again! My notes read: "flattens and then scrambles (jesus) to top of knob." The knob had a view to the Horns and the previous knob (and Sugarloaf, per usual)!

I was tired, I was sweaty, and I was ready to be showered and done! This was definitely the hottest and most humid day of my trip, and I was also hiking faster because I had nobody to yep with, which meant I was working harder. I was cooked! I eventually passed a group of 8-10 late teens who were all super kind. One asked me what my "hiker name" was and I said "oh just Matt haha" and after hiking away from each other, I heard him shout "THAT'S ONE!" - I interpreted this as I definitely look and smell horrible!

I was FINALLY descending now. I worked my way down a short, super slippery ledge followed by a series of wet slabs and then began to scramble down some boulders as the trail plummeted. The trail momentarily landed in an area full of giant mossy boulders and I wrote: "at least if I die here it's stunning." I worked through a flat mud pit and descended more reasonably through a massive blowdown patch before another gnarly, steep stretch (I found myself thinking "at least the Fire Warden's Trail had stairs..."). 

I had a wonderfully wild interaction on my way down a steeper part. I caught up to a woman that was butt-sliding down, which I felt was unnecessary, but who am I to judge! I said hello and started to scootch past her but she said "do you have any rope or ties?" I was confused, but then she explained her 20+ year old leather boots finally called it quits on this hiking trip, with both of her soles literally falling off during her hike. Thankfully, I had both ties and some paracord! She was super kind and apologetic, and I was just happy I finally got to use the emergency kit I've been carrying for years! I had to use a combination of two dinky scissors and she used her teeth to cut the chord, but she was thrilled, and now I have quite the story to tell!

Afterwards, I hiked down some spooky cave-like boulders, and to my DELIGHT, hit the junction with the Bigelow Range Trail just after!

[1:37pm - Appalachian Trail/Bigelow Range Trail]
This junction marked 2.3 miles to Stratton Pond Road and 3.2 to my car - I was going to live! I was TIRED. From here, the Appalachian Trail descended normally (thank god) and made a sharp turn around a grassy meadow/bog situation, providing a little view as the trail followed the border. This was a delightful (and necessary) walking break for me!

I hiked past a cute little snake and am always confounded as to how they actually move. I was also back to sweating since it was much warmer and more humid down here. The trail descended again before easing near a stream and crossing a series of boards.

The trail went uphill maybe five whole feet but it was enough for my body to emotionally give me a big slap! Did I mention I was tired? I passed the official 2000-mile marker of the Appalachian Trail at a stream on the right (which was fun to see after seeing two more unofficial 2000-mile markers on the Sugarloaf hike).

[2:11pm - Appalachian Trail/Cherry Stream Campsite]
The Cherry Stream Campsite was just after the 2000-mile marker, and it was a delight to finally feel closer! This stretch wasn't that long in the grand scheme of things, but it felt like it was! There were a few tent spots and a privy at the campsite - now I had about a mile to Stratton Brook Pond Road and then another mile to the car.

A gnat lovingly flew into my eye as the trail very easily rose to cross more boards in a dreadfully humid area, which in turn caused me to slip and take a pretty spectacular (and painful) fall. It was a "whole body hurt" kind of fall! I couldn't even stop to catch my breath because of all the bugs! I was DONE.

[Edit from the future: I would like to add this this section was actually totally fine and borderline easy to hike, I was just tired and exceptionally cranky from the heat and bugs and overall exhaustion].

To add insult to injury (literally), there was a brief uphill afterwards followed by a register box before the next downhill. I simply could not stop to sign it for a myriad of reasons. My shirt was splotchy with salt stains as I approached a mysteriously large bridge.

[2:27pm - Appalachian Trail/Dick Brown’s Bridge]
The bridge was labeled as "Dick Brown's Bridge" and hiked over a meadowy stream that was quite pretty. There was more information about the Kennebago River Crossing soon after (this time from 2024) on top of some wooden stairs at a woods road and then I could see Stratton Brook Pond Road! Thank GOD.

[2:32pm - Appalachian Trail/Stratton Brook Pond Road]
Truly, I think I blacked out this final bit of my hike because I was so equally exhausted and over the hike. From my notes I: finished my water, "power hiking this trail I might die," went over the boards slowly to prevent another fall, got yelled at by a squirrel for making it move off trail, wrote "oh my god" three times, and was never so excited to cross a highway in my life. My hike is complete!

[2:55pm - End of Hike]
My drive back was ridiculously close and easy. I drove around the base lodge area since I had never seen it before, and it had a great view back to what I had just hiked! I got back to the condo and my body said it was TIME to use the bathroom, which was exquisite timing. I had arguably the best shower and had a plethora of taquitos from the market at the base of the access road for dinner on top of a cheeseburger and some chips. I did a little Lightroom importing, watched My Roommate From Hell, and was tucked in and cozy in bed at 7:00pm! I have two more days left of vacation - tomorrow I'm hoping to visit The Crockers and Redington, and then I want to hike Burnt Mountain right here at Sugarloaf on my final morning before driving home to Boston - let's see how it goes!

Step-by-Step
- Start hike by carefully crossing ME-16/27 on the Appalachian Trail Northbound.
- At jct., turn right onto Stratton Brook Pond Road.
- At terminus, turn left onto what might be the Esker Trail.
- At split, turn left onto Firewarden's Trail.
- At terminus, turn right onto Appalachian Trail Northbound.
- At summit of Bigelow Avery Peak, turn around.
- Summit Bigelow West Peak, then continue.
- Summit South Horn, then continue.
- At jct., turn right onto North Horn Spur.
- Summit North Horn, then turn around.
- At terminus, turn right onto Appalachian Trail Southbound.
- At jct., turn right onto Pond Loop.
- At end of lollipop loop, turn right onto Appalachian Trail Southbound.
- Follow AT Southbound all the way to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment