Saturday, July 11, 2026

Sculpture Loop Trail (North Jersey District Water Supply Comission)

Sculpture Loop Trail (North Jersey District Water Supply Comission)

Hike Type: Lollipop Loop
Distance: 0.63 miles
Elevation: 82 feet
My Time: 21 minutes
Book Time: 21 minutes
Parking: Unclear where best parking is. I parked alongside the road, not blocking any driveways at the trailhead.
Hiking Challenges: Ringwood-Ramapo Hiking Challenge


The Hike 
Now for the most interesting hike of this list - the Sculpture Loop Trail, which I think is on North Jersey District Water Supply Commission Land, and loosely on the Long Pond Ironworks State Park map (via Highlands Connector). The parking situation was unclear. The trail started on a wide dirt road, and there weren't any "no parking" signs, but I parked off on the side of the paved road just for good measure. I left my pack in the car and just brought my camera.

The teal/black Highlands Trail Connector starts where the dirt road begins, and it appeared to not lead to a parking area, so I made a good call! The Sculpture Loop Trail turned right at a junction with a unique metal "SLT" blaze, leaving the Highlands Connector behind. There were a few different footpaths to follow, so I just opted for the outermost of the loop. 

The sculptures were part standing and park embedded in rocks, and at first most were bird-themed. There was a boulder with dinosaurs, and later some really cool red-painted ones (an arrow, a foot, and some flowery situation). 

I passed one bigger, open spot with a collection of larger sculptures, meandered around the woods some more, and then came to the "main" area, which had sculptures, a bench, a log book, and more sculptures. This area was so cool and definitely one of the most unique hikes I'd been on, especially in New Jersey!

I could hear voices, likely from the private residence through the woods - maybe the owner of the land? After some more meandering around a now-narrower trail, the loop closed and I followed my steps back out to my car, which was unbothered. The weather was starting to lighten up, too! I kept my clothes on this time, and drove to my final hike of the day!

Step-by-Step
- Start Hike on Highlands Trail Connector (teal with black dot) and Sculpture Loop blazes.
- At jct., turn right to stay on Sculpture Loop Trail.
- Follow red blazes and sculptures clockwise.
- Return to car.

No comments:

Post a Comment